Monday, January 2, 2012

Life As It Is

When I started this blog, it was a place to rant about all the things I didn't like. Since then, I've learned a few things.
1. Life isn't really that bad, you just have to open your eyes to the good things. I've been blessed with some of the best friends you could ask for, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

2. Life is short. A lot of times we go through life saying just that, but we never really understand what we are saying.
The last day of my sophomore year of high school, I left the building not knowing if I would ever go back there. Again, I am blessed, and I did see both the building and more importantly the people again. But now I am a quarter into this year, and where do I find myself? Oklahoma at the moment. We still have hours to Amarillo, Texas and a few days of driving after that. Our final destination? Rancho Cucamonga, California. Soon I'll be calling this suburb of Los Angeles home.
If you were to have asked me this time last year where I thought I would be, I would never have said California. Things in life have a tendency to come out of nowhere it would seem.

A month ago, Katherine gave me a mix cd. With the cd she gave me a book she had made that explained why she chose each song. Knowing this move was coming, and coming quickly, there were two songs on the cd that I connected with especially well. Ironically, they are the first and last songs.

The first song is "Hanging By a Moment" by Lifehouse. The chorus of the song says "I'm falling even more in love with you, letting go of all I've held onto. I'm standing here until you make me move, I'm hanging by a moment here with you. I'm living for the only thing I know, I'm running and not quite sure where to go. And I don't know what I'm diving into, just hanging by a moment here with you."

The other song, the last one on the cd, is "100 years" by Five for Fighting. The song follows a man through his life, and shows how he changes as he gets older. It all starts at fifteen with a crush, he gets married, has a kid, and at 99, he looms back, theres still time for "just another moment." At the end of our lives, all we can do is look back.

I started this blog not because I was angry, but because I was hurting. Now, a year later I'm looking back realizing that I wasted a lot of time complaining about the way things were. I find myself here, just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma with little to do but think. I'm at the prime of my life right now. Most of it is still ahead of me. At fifteen, seventeen, twenty-two, most of your life is still coming, but in the end, a hundred years is short, and we're all just hanging by a moment. Life is short.

Here I am, almost a month after writing this. I would like to be the first to congratulate myself on almost a year of forgetting to write on here (im trying to fix that). A lot has happened since that first post. Some things good, others not so much. I find that this year I'm still sitting through the same

Time is running out. Eventually we'll all reach the end. Let's make the most of what's left, because we're all just hanging by a moment in these hundred or so years. So let's hang with those we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment